This is an easy method for how to roast jalapenos and also a great way to get amazing roasted jalapeno peppers.
Roasting jalapeno peppers can be used to make so many delicious recipes like fresh salsa or a creamy sauce for the perfect addition to tacos or main dishes!!!
Raw jalapenos are super affordable and only 5-10 minutes prep time and 15 minutes in the oven. Roasted jalapeno peppers add a spicy, slightly smoky flavor.
Ingredients for roasting jalapeno peppers:
- Raw Jalapeño peppers
- Olive Oil
- Garlic Salt
Instructions for how to roast jalapenos:
Here is an overview of how to roast jalapenos in oven. Get the full recipe card at the bottom of the post.
Wash raw jalapeños under water.
Using a small paring knife, make 3-4 cuts in the fresh jalapenos from below the top of the pepper to a half inch from the bottom of the pepper.
Place the jalapeno peppers in a large bowl.
Add the olive oil, garlic salt, and lime juice and mix well, pressing down slightly in the peppers so that the juices seep into the pepper.
Marinate in the refrigerator for 30 minutes up to 3 hours.
Set oven to Lo broil and wait until the oven gets to temperature.
Broil on the 3 rack position or about the middle of the oven for 15 minutes.
Remove from heat and let cool.
What can you use roasted jalapeno peppers for?
- Jalapeno based salsa in a blender or food processor is one of the most common and versatile. Break out the tortilla chips and enjoy a delicious fresh jalapeno salsa or top off some steak tacos.
- A good idea for a snack is to stuff some peppers with cream cheese.
- Another great option is to make a jalapeno coconut sauce to add to pork chops or other main dishes.
- Homemade jalapeno hot sauce is also a great addition to breakfast burritos.
There are so many great jalapeno recipes out there and new recipes coming out all of the time. You are sure to be able to find something delicious to use these roasted peppers in.
Baking sheet or roasting pan
How long do oven-roasted jalapeños last?
Once roasted they can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 1-2 weeks. Alternatively they can be frozen in a freezer-safe container and stored for 2-3 months.
- Use aluminum foil or parchment paper on a baking sheet for easy cleanup.
- The skin of the pepper can be removed easily after roasting if needed.
- Use food grade disposable gloves when handling hot peppers.
- Out of all the roasting methods I found that Lo broil on the middle rack was able to cook the peppers through and give a slightly charred finish.
- Cook time will vary depending on your oven and how well it maintains its temperature. I use an oven safe thermometer to make sure it is at temperature.
Roasted jalapeno peppers add a unique flavor and mild to medium heat to any dish. I hope that you learned how to roast jalapenos. What is your favorite way to use roasted jalapenos?
- 10-12 - jalapeno peppers
- 1 teaspoon - Garlic Salt
- 3 - Limes, juice squeezed
- 1 Tablespoon - Olive Oil
- 1 ½ teaspoons - Sugar
- Using a paring knife make 3 to 4 slits in each pepper from just below the top of the pepper down to just above the bottom of the pepper.
- Mix the olive oil, garlic salt, lime juice and sugar in a mixing bowl.
- Add the peppers and gently work the marinade into the peppers.
- Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes up to 4 hours.
- Set oven to Lo broil setting and let it get to temperature.
- Broil on the 3rd rack from the top for 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow time to cool before storing.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 64Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 290mgCarbohydrates: 12gFiber: 2gSugar: 8gProtein: 1g