This is a great butternut squash side dish recipe that combines baked, butternut squash slices with barley for an incredible taste. This is one of those butternut squash recipes that you have to try if you are looking for a different and healthy variation of this side dish, oh and it's vegan and high fiber!!
- Butternut Squash - I used one on the smaller/medium side
- Barley, Pearled - Great fiber!
- Spinach or greens that you have on hand
- Brown Sugar - Just a little bit so that the butternut squash gets some extra caramelization
- Salt & Pepper
- Olive Oil
- Dried Cranberries - Adds sweetness and vibrant color to this beautiful dish
How To Make this Butternut Squash Side Dish
Start by preparing your butternut squash. Using a peeler, remove the outside skin from the butternut squash and cut in half lengthwise. Scrape out the seeds and stringy flesh of the squash and cut the squash in hand and then into approximately ½" crescent shaped pieces.
In a large mixing bowl, mix the butternut squash pieces with the olive oil and spices together until the squash pieces are coated evenly.
Pre heat the oven to 450 degrees.
While your oven is pre heating, get started on the barley. I cooked it according to the instructions on the packaging and it turned out perfect. Mix in the cranberries then cover and set aside.
Once the oven is heated to temperature, go ahead and spread the butternut squash slices to an non greased baking sheet. Put in the oven for 15 minutes or until fork tender.
Grab your serving dish and place a bed of greens down on the bottom. Add your dried cranberries with the barley and scoop on top of the bed of greens.
Arrange the butternut squash onto the barley, drizzle with some Extra Virgin Olive Oil and enjoy this butternut squash side dish recipe!
Tips for making this Butternut Squash Side Dish:
- Grilling the butternut squash slices would also be a great option if possible
- This can be served as a main dish that is Vegan or a great healthy side dish
- 1 - Butternut Squash, medium sized
- 1 Cup - Pearled Barley
- 1 - 10 ounce bag of spinach
- 1 Teaspoon - Brown Sugar
- 2 Tablespoons - Olive Oil
- 1 Teaspoon - Paprika
- 2 Teaspoons - Fresh Thyme
- ½ Teaspoon - Salt
- ¼ Teaspoon - Pepper
- Using a peeler, remove the outside skin from the butternut squashed cut in half lengthwise. Scrape out the seeds and stringy flesh of the squash and cut into ½" pieces.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the butternut squash pieces with the olive oil and dry spices together until the squash pieces are coated evenly.
- Pre heat the oven to 450 degrees Farenheit.
- Cook the barley then mix in the cranberries and set aside.
- Spread out the butternut squash pieces on a non greased baking sheet and place in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Prepare the final dish by placing a bed of greens on the bottom and then adding the barley and cranberry mix.
- Finally, top the dish off with the butternut squash pieces. Then, garnish with extra virgin olive oil and thyme.
Grilling the butternut squash slices would also be a great option if possible.
This can be served as a main dish that is Vegan or a great healthy side dish
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 151Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 318mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 5gSugar: 2gProtein: 4g