This bacon mashed potatoes recipe is my new favorite way to enjoy this classic side dish. Creamy mashed potatoes with cream cheese and sour cream, crunchy , salty bits of bacon and savory, sautéed mushrooms make this side dish a must try!
This potato and mushroom recipe is a great comfort dish for any holiday gathering!
Here is what you need to make this recipe:
- Potatoes - Russet are what I used but Yukon or Idaho are other good options
- Milk - Whole milk (not pictured by mistake)
- Butter - Unsalted
- Sour Cream - Helps to bind the ingredients to the potatoes
- Cream Cheese
- Mushrooms - I used sliced baby portabellas
- Salt & Pepper
How to make bacon mashed potatoes with mushrooms
Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees and set your bacon on a baking pan. Bake for 30 minutes, flipping half way, then remove the strips of bacon. The bacon straws used for the garnish will need 15-20 minutes longer until they are done, then cut them into 1" pieces for a tasty bite!
Prepare the mushrooms by rinsing under water and then pat dry. Heat 1 Tablespoon of olive oil in a frying pan and saute the mushrooms for 8-10 minutes on medium heat.
Set aside the mushrooms and chop the bacon and set aside as well because you will add it once the mashed potatoes are finished.
Rinse the potatoes under cold water and peel them and cut into ½" slices.
Bring 2 quarts of water to a roiling boil and carefully add the potatoes to try and avoid any splashing. Boil the potatoes for 10-15 minutes until fork tender. Drain and transfer the potatoes to a mixing bowl.
Add the butter, salt & pepper, sour cream, and cream cheese to the potatoes and mix well with a hand blender or standing mixer.
After its mixed fold in the mushrooms and bacon.
Set your oven to broil and transfer to a baking dish or cast iron pan. Melt 1 Tablespoon of unsalted butter and brush onto the top of the bacon mashed potatoes. Broil for 5-10 minutes until the top turns golden brown.
Garnish with bacon straws and chives. Enjoy this potato and mushroom recipe!
Tips for making this bacon mashed potatoes with cream cheese and sour cream recipe:
- Bring the butter and cream cheese to room temperature before mixing ingredients because they are easier to mix into the potatoes
- If making bacon straws, put bacon in the freezer for 15-20 minutes so that it is firmer and easier to work with
- Spray the skewers with cooking oil so that they will be easier to remove from the skewer once complete
- 4-6 - Potatoes
- 2 Cups - Mushrooms, roughly chopped
- ½ pound - Bacon
- ⅓ Cup - Whole Milk
- ¼ Cup - Sour Cream
- ½ Cup - Cream Cheese
- 3 Tablespoons - Unsalted butter, 1 Tablespoon set aside
- 1 Tablespoon - Olive Oil
- ½ Teaspoon - Salt
- ¼ Teaspoon - Pepper
- Pre-heat your oven to 375 Degrees and place on a cooking rack or baking pan. Wrap bacon around skewers if doing the garnish. Bake for 30-40 minutes, flipping halfway until the bacon is crisp. Cut the bacon straws into 1" strips and set aside.
- Rinse the mushrooms and pat dry with a towel. Heat 1 Tablespoon of olive oil in a pan on medium heat and saute the mushrooms for 8-10 minutes. Set aside with bacon to be added at a later point.
- Rinse the potatoes under cold water and then peel them and cut into ½" slices.
- Bring 2 quarts of water to a boil and cook the potatoes for 10-15 minutes until fork tender. Drain and empty into a large mixing bowl.
- Add the 2 Tablespoons of butter, salt and pepper, sour cream, and milk to the potatoes and mix with a hand blender or standing mixer.
- Add the bacon and mushrooms using a spatula or spoon.
- Set your oven to broil and transfer the bacon mashed potatoes to a baking dish or cast iron pan.
- Melt the remaining 1 Tablespoon of butter and use a brush to cover the top of the potatoes.
- Broil on the top rack for 5-7 minutes until the tops of the mashed potatoes brown.
- Garnish with bacon straw pieces and chives!